Veggie Tacos with Queso Fresco makes 8 to 10 tacos
- 1 white potato, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow/summer squash , chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, drained (if using a can of beans rinse before use)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 to 10 corn tortillas
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled*
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place potato, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic in the skillet and saute until the potatoes are browned and al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Once the potatoes are browned, add squash, zucchini, corn, beans, chili powder, salt, and cumin to the pan. Stir to combine and saute for 5 minutes until the squash and zucchini are tender. While the vegetables are cooking place the tortillas a few at a time on a griddle or skillet and warm until the tortillas are soft and ready to serve.
To serve, place two large spoonfuls of the sauteed vegetables on a corn tortilla. Top with a large pinch of queso fresco, a squeeze of lime, and cilantro. A few drops of a hot sauce like Piquin or Chalula is always acceptable.