Tuesday, February 11, 2014
5 Healthy Baked Treats For Any Occasion
5 Healthy Baked Treats for Any Occasion
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Jamie_Highland]Jamie Highland
With the avalanche of baked treats that will be offered to you, what would be the best ones to choose from that won't completely destroy your diet?
Believe it or not, there are actually some good choices out there. It's just a matter of knowing which of the array of baked goods on offer are best for you to eat. Granted, most of them are full of refined flour and sugar, so you still must eat them in moderation, healthier choice or not. Here are the Top 5 healthiest baked treats you can choose from:
1. That Italian import called biscotti is one of the best choices that you can ever make. Each slice is only 100 calories and the nuts that are added, usually almonds, walnuts, or hazelnuts, add protein, monounsaturated fats, and fiber to your diet which keep you in good shape. A daily serving is about 4-6 nuts, so a slice or two won't do that much damage to your diet. Stay away from the biscotti with chocolate or caramel chips, though. These are simply extra calories and extra sugar. Opt for ones stuffed with dried fruits instead.
Cranberries are a fruit that is high in nutrients and are great for baking. Most people don't eat them by themselves as they have a bitter taste, but combined with pastries and muffins, they can add a lot of flavor. And they seem to keep more than just your feelings jolly - they're super high in anti-oxidants that keep you healthy inside and out. They're also a better choice than raisins, which pack more sugar and less benefits, pound for pound.
2. A favorite with oranges and apples, these make for delicious cakes and muffins. So if you're offered a slice of cranberry-orange cake, say yes! This doesn't mean that you can have cakes with white chocolate chips in them, though. Although white chocolate is a favorite combination with cranberries, it's not really that healthy. Use bran instead of white flour to make healthier cakes and muffins.
3. Although the classic fruitcake weighs in at about 80-100 calories a slice, most people may opt for a nut-free slice of carrot cake instead. They're both low in fat and have lots of fiber but there's no negative connotation with carrot cake. At least no one can say that it came from a cake that must have gone around the world twice before it was served! The icing is the unhealthiest part of carrot cake, so use low fat icing and don't put too much.
4. Choose a square or a regular-sized muffin of chocolate-chip banana bread. With a sprinkling of chopped walnuts, they're high in fiber and monounsaturated fats. Plus points to you if the chocolate-chips are semisweet. Bittersweet chocolate has less sugar, of course, plus the high percentage of flavonoids make it an anti-oxidant that keeps your heart healthy along with your psyche. No wonder chocolate was originally known as a food for the gods!
5. Cookies are generally thought of as an unhealthy sinful treat, but sometimes you just have to have them. Your best bet would be those delicious oatmeal cookies with added dried fruit and chopped nuts. These are wholesome and toothsome bites which would do well with either a glass of skim milk, a cup of hot coffee or cocoa, or a glassful of white wine.
There's no need to deprive yourself of baked goods just to stay healthy. Just eat in moderation (one or two pieces only) and choose ones made with the right ingredients.
Jamie Highland writes about events like baby showers and food topics. To check out some [http://www.mybabyshowerfavors.com/decorated-cookies.html]decorated cookies or some [http://www.mybabyshowerfavors.com]baby shower favors, visit My Baby Shower Favors. If you want more articles, visit our site and click on the Contact Us link. Note: You can reprint this article in your ezine, blog, or website as long as the credits remain intact and hyperlinks remain active and dofollow.
Article Source: [http://EzineArticles.com/?5-Healthy-Baked-Treats-for-Any-Occasion&id=5840271] 5 Healthy Baked Treats for Any Occasion