No-Bake Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Energy Bars
Loaded with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, these bars make for a delicious and satisfying on-the-go treat. If you don’t think your food processor can handle the dates, you can soak them in water for an hour beforehand to soften them up.Ingredients
- 1½ cups pitted, dried dates
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- optional: sprinkle of sea saltInstructions
- Purée dates in food processor until a thick paste forms. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, cinnamon, and vanilla and almond extracts. Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Add the almonds and pecans; pulse until nuts are well incorporated into date mixture. Stir in dried cherries.
- Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface. Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and press mixture into 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. If desired, you can even out the edges by trimming them with a knife. Wrap tightly in wax paper, and chill overnight.
- Unwrap block, and cut into 8 bars. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt (if using). Re-wrap each bar in wax paper and refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container.
- Two more variation ideas from Kristina:
- Blueberry, Pistachio and Crystallized Ginger Bars: same as above but omit cinnamon; sub chopped pistachios for almonds and pecans; sub dried blueberries for dried cherries; stir in 1/8 cup chopped crystallized ginger after mixture is blended
- Cranberry-Orange Walnut Bars: same as above but omit cinnamon and almond extract; sub chopped walnuts for almonds and pecans; add 1/2 teaspoon orange zest; sub dried cranberries for dried cherries