pesto-stuffed portobello pizzas
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup basil lemon pesto (recipe below)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 campari tomatoes or other vine-ripened tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a soup spoon, scrape out gills from the underside of portobello caps and discard. Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto in each mushroom cap. Top with mozzarella and tomato slices, enough to cover the top of each mushroom.
- Place pizzas on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until the mozzarella is melted and mushrooms are cooking but still hold their shape (about 10 minutes).
Basil lemon pesto
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- In a food processor, pulse garlic and pine nuts until chopped. Add the basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Pulse until chopped.
- While the processor is running, stream in olive oil until the pesto is blended and fairly smooth. Add Parmigiano Reggiano and pulse until combined. Pesto can be refrigerated covered for up to a week.